Got pumpkins? Well, you just have to make the Baked Pumpkin Soup from the Farmers in French Hats cookbook. It’s a hearty soup filled with cheese that will bring you comfort and keep you warm on those frosty days that are just around the corner.
If you’re a cheese lover, every bite you take will melt your heart. Serve it with slices of crusty bread to catch the strands of cheese. Believe me, you’ll want to add this recipe to your pumpkin recipes repertoire.
Baked Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- 1 pumpkin, 3½ lbs (1..6 kg)
- 1 slice of bread, grilled and cut into croutons
- 2 oz. (60 g) old cheddar; grated
- 2 oz. (60 g) fresh mozzarella, diced
- 2 oz. (60 gr) lardons (bacon cubes)
- 2 tbsp. (30 g) leek (white part only), chopped
- 2 tbsp. (25 g) red onion, chopped
- 3 cups (750 ml) chicken stock
- ½ cup (125 ml) cream
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- Freshly- ground pepper
- Cut open the top of the pumpkin and remove seeds and fibers.
- Place all ingredients in successive layers in the following order: croutons first, then cheeses, lardons, leek, onion, nutmeg
- and pepper.
- Add cream and fill with chicken stock to just below the rim of the pumpkin.
- Put the top back on and place in a drip pan. Bake for about 1 hour and 45 minutes or until pumpkin flesh comes of easily with a spoon.
- Before serving, scrape the sides o the pumpkin to obtain the cooked flesh. Put pumpkin flesh into bowls and cover with broth.
This recipe is one of many seasonal recipes in the Farmers in French Hats cookbook. Read the full review at The Farmers in Chef Hats Cookbook Review.
Recipe and photo excerpt from:
Title : Farmers in Chef Hats Cookbook
Author : Linda Arsenault
Publisher: Linda Arsenault
Photographs and recipes printed with the permission of Linda Arsenault